These little flavour-intense dried tomatoes can be used in so many ways! They can be used in salads, eaten as a snack, or finely ground into ‘tomato powder’ which can be used as a flavour enhancer for any meal using a tomato base.
You can rehydrate them in oil before use, to use on a tapas or mezze platter, or to use in cooking, like pizza sauce or in muffins. You can then use the oil in salad dressings.
HERB, SALT + VINEGAR DRIED TOMATOES
About 1 cup once fully dried
- dehydrator, I use a Fowlers Vacola Ultimate Dehydrator
- 500gm of tomatoes, cherry or grape varieties
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vinegar (white, white wine or red wine, apple cider vinegar)
- 1/4 tsp garlic infused olive oil (or use 1 small clove of crushed garlic)
- 2 to 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh herbs (sage, basil, thyme, oregano)
- Into a mixing bowl put the fine salt, vinegar, garlic infused olive oil (or 1 small clove of garlic, crushed, if you do not require a Low FODMAP version) and the chopped fresh herbs.
- Stir to combine and dissolve salt.
- Cut the cherry or grape tomatoes in half. Toss in the bowl with the other ingredients until coated.
- Place on a dehydrator tray (I use a ‘fruit leather’ tray, or a Clean-a-Screen cover on my trays) and dehydrate on the Fruit/ Vege setting for 12 to 14 hours, up to 24 hours (depending on the size of your tomato slices/ pieces) until fully dry.
- Can be stored in an airtight container in the pantry, or a ziplock bag or container in the freezer.
- If doing ‘semi’ dried, check to see if they have reached the consistency you like, then eat or store in the fridge to eat within the next few days.
GET YOUR FREE GUIDE TO URBAN HOMESTEADING
Sign up to our email list to receive your FREE 40-page eGuide (with Printable Worksheets, and Assessment + Design Tool) to help you start planning your vege gardens, chickens and more today, plus how to tackle those pesky challenges, like finding time, money and energy (or getting your family on board)! You will also receive fortnightly emails with garden + kitchen advice to help you find yourself in the dirt!