This green ‘mayo’ is so good. I was intrigued by the suddenly, seemingly ubiquitous, versions of the ‘green goddess dressing’, including a vegan version which uses avocado. I had been thinking of a zesty, smooth, herby, spicy dressing (or dip) as a way to get the kids to eat more avocado (which they kinda did OK with, served with wedges and sweet chilli sauce!) It isn’t low in FODMAPs, so I try not to eat too much of it, but seriously, it’s hard not to!
About 1 1/2 cups
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup packed flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup green ends of spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tarragon leaves (or 1 tsp dried tarragon leaves)
- 2 to 3 mint leaves
- 1/2 to 1 tsp fine salt
- 1 to 2 jalapeños, or 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp garlic infused olive oil (or one small clove of garlic, crushed)
- 1 tsp roast onion infused oil (or leave out, if you don’t have any)
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tbsp)
- 1/4 cup macadamia oil (or olive oil)
- Remove avocado flesh from peel, and discard stone.
- Remove stem from jalapenos and chop roughly (remove seeds if you want less heat).
- Blend all ingredients together
- Taste. Add more salt or juice, if needed.
- If you don’t have a blender or food processor, you could mash the avocado, finely chop the herbs and chilli, and blend it all together by hand