This is a really yummy, treat cake. It is great for dessert, with cream or ice cream, or perfect for ‘bring a plate’ morning or afternoon tea!
Please note that apples are considered a high FODMAP food.
Apple Crumble Cake
- 700gm apples (whole) – about 6 small apples or 4 large apples (equals about 2 cups once peeled, cored & finely grated)
- 1/2 cup of organic raw sugar
- 250gm organic butter, softened
- 4 free range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla powder, or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1 cup of maize flour
- 4 tsps gluten free baking powder
For the Crumble
- 1/2 cup nuts (I use a combination of pecans, walnuts, macadamias)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 125gm butter, cut into cubes
- Pre-heat the oven to moderate (about 180 degrees celsius)
- Grease and line a square 30cm x 30cm baking dish
- Peel & core apples, then finely grate, using the 2mm grating plate in a food processor (or a stand grater), then set aside
- In a food processor (or large bowl), blend the butter and sugar together, until creamed and fluffy
- Add eggs, grated apple, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg, and blend until combined
- Add the baking powder and flours, and blend until just combined
- Spoon the batter (it will be reasonably thick) into your prepared baking dish.
- Make the crumble mix by blending the nuts, seeds, coconut, spices and sugar in a food processor, then add the butter and blend again until just combined
- Carefully spoon the crumble mix on top of the cake batter at a time, using small amounts spread over the top (it will spread a bit more as it cooks)
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes in moderate oven. Test if the cake is cooked by inserting a skewer in the cake, and comes out without batter on it.
- Allow to cool on a baking rack, until cool enough to handle
- Serve with ice cream and cream. Store cake in an airtight container for several days.
- Makes about 12 regular sized muffins, baked for about 25 to 30 minutes
GET YOUR FREE GUIDE TO GROW, RAISE, COOK + PRESERVE TODAY
Sign up to our email list to receive your FREE eGuide to help you start planning your vege gardens, chickens and more. Plus how to tackle those pesky challenges, like finding time, energy, money + support. You will also receive fortnightly emails with garden + kitchen advice to help you find yourself in the dirt!